Review: The Visit


The Visit (2015)
★★★

Ever since I fell in love with Split (2016) I have been meaning to watch another M. Night Shyamalan movie (excluding Glass, and yes, I still need to watch Unbreakable). 

I was in the mood for a Thriller tonight and thought I should get started on my list; The Visit is the movie that stood out to me. Seeing it is a Blumhouse movie, I put it on right away.

Storyline:
Becca decides to film a documentary on her mother's childhood home whilst her and her brother Tyler go to stay with their grandparents. As the week goes on during their stay, they start to learn things about them that they might of not have wanted to when their disturbing behaviour becomes more intense.

I'm impressed with this I have to say, I struggled at the start and was quite tempted to turn it off.  It had quite a slow start, but the last half an hour to 40 minutes of this movie made it a success.

The Visit was shot as a "handheld" horror with very little background music as Becca is filming her documentary. This kind of style is not one of my favourites as I find it quite hard to concentrate, but luckily the story was enough to grab my attention.

There were times when I couldn't brave to look at the screen, which I haven't experienced in a long time. My heart race was definitely increased and even said the words "shut the front door" out loud. The twist caught me off guard completely which I love and it made me fear for the characters.

But one thing I did love about this movie was that it wasn't completely horror. There were a lot of comedic moments. I'm unsure if they were intentional, I'd like to believe they were. They were just on the edge of being "silly" but it fit the characters and their personal stories.

Fantastic acting by all in this film, especially Olivia DeJonge (who I have previously watched in Netflix's "The Society") and Ed Oxenbould, both very talented young actors. It was also interesting to see Kathryn Hahn in a more serious role as I have only ever watched her in comedies.

I would recommend this movie to any horror fans, or even to introduce to horror. Not too many jumps, just a little weird.


No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig