Review: Lady Bird


Lady Bird (2017)
★★☆

Lady Bird is Greta Gerwig's directorial debut and also the first movie I have watched of hers. I have heard her name a lot as she also directed Little Women (2019) (yes, I still need to watch) which was nominated for 6 Oscars including Best Motion Picture of the Year and won Best Costume Design. She's been a big name this year so I am very intrigued in her work.

I have also always been a big fan of Saoirse Ronan as a person. Now, I say "as a person" and not "as an Actor" because I always catch myself watching her interviews  (she has the most wonderful accent) but I can only think of one movie that I have ever watched her in, The Lovely Bones when she was 13 years old. So I have a lot of catching up to do, shock. 

I can safely say this movie wasn't for me. I have been trying to figure out the words to describe how I feel towards it. Hopefully with blogging over time I will become better with putting my thoughts to screen and for them to make sense, so please bare with me.

The best way I can think to describe it: it's an insight of a 17 year old girl.. that's it. Maybe I found it boring because I've already lived through a 17 year old girls life, for a whole year believe it or not.

I like to watch movies to escape for an hour and a half, put my feet in someone else shoes, where in this movie it almost felt like deja vu. It's just a normal girl, living a normal girl's life. Nothing tragic happens, she has fights with her mum (when her mum knows best), she fancies boys, she goes to school, it's just normal and real. It could pass as a documentary in a sense.

I'm struggling with what to say, because I almost have nothing to say. Though I guess I can say I have never felt like that towards a movie before. I'm not mad for watching it, however I wouldn't watch it again.

If you like "real-feel" movies, this will be perfect for you. It's a fantastic cast and great characters. I was just greedy for more I guess.

Sorry this isn't a long review, I honestly have no more words.




No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig